Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Grateful


My sister Janet still gets a newspaper in paper format. I think mostly so Charlie can read the sports page in the comfort of his kitchen and still get excited when he reads something news worthy to share with her. What is great about that is I get the rest of the newspaper, sometimes even before they read it themselves- One might say that my sister and brother in law are buying me a daily newspaper. They actually do use that term you know. Whenever I walk into their house which is in my backyard, they will inform me that my newspaper was saved for me and is by the microwave.  Every Wednesday there is a section called "Style and Soul" and I get to read about weddings and new families. So today, I took notice of a special issue coming up for Thanksgiving. They asked readers to submit to them some of the little things in life they are grateful for and I wrote this: 

"After many years of disconnection, I am grateful for connection to myself and to others through the humanity of compassion. I am now certain that my life has meaning and I will never truly be alone. Courage has become my best friend. I can stand visible to all who care to see.  I learned how to let people touch my soul as I have touched theirs and the world is better off with me in it rather than not. I have accepted the gift of this life and all that it entails. I am pleased for that knowing and the comfort that it brings me everyday in the simplest of pleasures."

This last year has helped me hone in on the the simplest of truths which is; I am grateful for everything. 

No more should haves or if only, no more regrets or fears. No more wishes for what could have been but wasn't. No more sorrow for the tragedies I have experienced.  I love all that I have become and all who helped me become it. I am glad to know what shame is, what trauma and horror is, what fear is for I also know what joy is, strength, courage and wisdom too. I do not walk alone and because of that, others will not walk alone either. I will do all that I can to lend myself to others as they become willing to simply be who they are. And embrace themselves with unconditional love. 

Thank you for being my support and witness as I walk through life. Thank you for every kindness offered to me at my lowest points as well as my highest and everything in between. Thank you for all your listening for listening truly is love. And it is in that love, that I can happily rest.  No need to die before my time. Peace is with me in this lifetime because you have not let me be alone.  Thank you again and again. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the world, my world is better with you in it. Your life has purpose, your experiences have made you the wizard to someone like me. There's a country song I do a line dance too at Prospectors, "Wave on wave". "Am I the one one you were sent to save, it came upon me wave on wave". I am grateful for you, I am grateful for all you taught me. I am grateful that you opened my eyes to my mothers suffering and that she really did love me. I am grateful for you for teaching me to be a more loving human. oxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete