Monday, September 5, 2016

Next Step and Mary's Place

I found an opportunity to go to a retreat center in Ocean Grove NJ for women who had or are having cancer treatment- So I applied. It is called Mary's Place- (see article below)  Eventually I learned that the treatment needs to have be completed in less than one year from your date of acceptance-  So I got my letter saying I am being treated by my oncologist and I got my letter saying I can have a massage and I am going this Friday September 9 for 2 nights.

My first appointment is for counseling  at 11:30 am, later on Friday I will get a Reiki treatment and on Saturday I have a 3 pm massage. And there is no formal charge but donations are accepted. They do lots of fund raising to make this possible.  I am excited for many reasons. I do need the experience as emotionally I feel like the last year has been full of challenges.  I am coming up to the anniversary of my mammogram that showed something questionable in my left breast which lead to an ultra sound which lead to a MRI which lead to a lumpectomy which lead to chemotherapy which lead to a heart MUGA Scan. ( see explanation below) And also which lead to radiation which lead to occupational therapy to prevent lymphedema. I did genetic counseling and testing too. AND then I did a bone scan, then a MRI of my spine to make sure I had no cancer in my bones. I am so worn out. At first I thought I was cheating by taking advantage of this opportunity by when I read that treatment could have been up to a year ago, I realize I was worthy and not cheating at all.

I am not certain exactly what to expect but I do intend to go to the Ocean Grove flea market on Saturday morning that is there twice a year and to have dinner with my college girl friend that lives in the area.  I am especially excited to have nutritional counseling as that is my main struggle. I did cook today after getting my house in order now that Madison is living in Philadelphia full time. I made a lentil dish in the crock pot.

I am surrounded by many healthy eaters in my life. My friend Gary allows me to connect to him for inspiration. He is a businessman with many activities, a father and husband and still makes time to take care of himself by eating correctly and exercising. My colleague David is devoted to healthy eating. Of course my sister Rhona has be consistent for over 20 years now. Harold too is very health conscious in all of his life-style choices. And I hear Shari in my head often. I feel so sad when I think I won't be able to save myself by changing my lifestyle.  All my good work will be diminished if I can't or don't do this.  I feel like it is just so HARD! and yet I can't be in photographs as obese. I can't stand the way I look so I try not to see myself anymore.

Upon my return I will go to Rohrer Fitness and Health Center in Voorhees for a 8 week program designed for those recovering from treatment called Next Steps (further explanation below). It is a bi-weekly Cancer fitness program.   And I am planning to do a soup/ juice fast between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur to prepare and transition into a substantial change.

So that is the latest- will let you know how the weekend goes! Love to you all.

Welcome to Mary's Place by the Sea

PROVIDING A PLACE FOR WOMEN WITH CANCER TO HEAL:
MIND, BODY, AND SOUL

Mary’s Place by the Sea is a respite home for women who are receiving treatment for cancer.  We provide services that complement their medical treatment, including oncology massages, nutrition education, individual counseling, Reiki, guided meditation and yoga.  Mary’s Place by the Sea is not a medical facility with medical staff.  We offer integrative services to women with cancer and provide rest and support during this challenging time in their lives. They are empowered with knowledge that will aid them on their road to healing. Since 2009, over 5,600 women with cancer have become "guests" of Mary's Place by the Sea. Our new home is located at 22 Main Avenue in Ocean Grove.  Out of consideration to the women with cancer who come to stay with us, tours are available by appointment only on Mondays and Thursday afternoons.  While we welcome visitors,  please refrain from dropping by unexpectedly due to our guests privacy concerns.    Please call 732-455-5344 for more information.

The Jersey Shore is therapeutic all by itself. Breathe in the salt air. Feel the warm sand between your toes. Watch the waves breaking.  Women with cancer can find that and more one block from the Atlantic at Mary's Place in Ocean Grove. For five years, more than 5,000 women have been able to plug into Mary's Place programs and stay at the residence as the women cope with cancer. And while women from Monmouth County come, more come from North Jersey and beyond, according to the co-founder, Michele Gannon.

Chanel Royster, 41, from Philadelphia, is making her second visit. Her first time was August 2012 when she was first diagnosed with breast cancer. A recent re-occurrence lead to a lumpectomy. "I enjoy the peace and love. I feel beautiful just coming through the door," said the nurse, who is single and has been living with her mother and sister. She takes part in yoga, reflexology, massage and nutrition education.

As I entered, four women were sitting around the cramped dining room table with Linda Jensen, a nutrition educator and eight-year cancer survivor. Behind them in the tiny kitchen was Janice Berra, one of the two paid resident managers, with Linda Stark, one of the 100 volunteers, making a salad for the lunch about to be served. Pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline funded the nutrition program.

The corner house can accommodate four women overnight. There is one television in a small living room that is also used for counseling or whatever need arises.  There are porches with great views of the ocean.The basement houses the cramped office staff and some storage. There, I met one of the board members, Ginny Whipple Berkner, stuffing envelopes. The St. Aloysius, Jersey City, native is the daughter of the late well-known federal judge, Lawrence A. Whipple.

Maria McKeon, 53, the other co-founder, is a fitness and health instructor who looks like she could have been on the world champion soccer team. Her expertise provides the residents and clients with all kinds of massage and physical therapy to help them relax and cope with the stress of their diagnosis as well as their chemo and radiation treatments. "There is often a gap in care and we support the mind, body and soul," she said, acknowledging Dean's Natural Food Market, a local business, for their financial support.And that is the whole rationale and genesis of Mary's Place. About six years ago, Gannon was diagnosed with a temporary illness that sapped her strength as she was raising four small children. A devout Catholic, she believed the Blessed Mother (thus the name, Mary's Place) guided her to reach out to McKeon, who was known for raising funds through athletics for cancer causes.

They decided to start a program so women could get away for a time and receive comfort. "We don't give ourselves permission to let all go," she said. They rented bed and breakfast space in town and soon outgrew it. They moved to the house they now occupy, but they have outgrown that too and its owner has recently put the house up for sale. Rent and expenses for the small house total over $12,000 monthly.

A few blocks down on Main Street, they found two lots where they are building a new house and expect to open in January 2016 with 10 bedrooms and much more needed space. They plan a teaching kitchen because the right nutrition has been shown to help fight cancer. It will have a spa center to accommodate three therapists, a dedicated counseling room, a dining room for 12, space for education seminars and ample office space.It will cost more than $2 million and they have been able to raise a half million so far. That's why their Oceanfront Bash in October is a critical fund-raiser. Through annual walkathons and other what Gannon called, "friend-raisers," they bring in most of what they need annually. 

Dominican Sister of Hope Mary Anthony Schmittauer retired one year ago and goes there several times a month to volunteer. She is amazed to see "how women survive from this awful disease." She also sees first hand how much the women get from all the free programs. A lot of healing goes on in Mary's Place.

MUGA Scan
A multigated acquisition (MUGA) scan creates video images of the lower chambers of the heart that hold blood (called “ventricles”) to check whether they are pumping blood properly. It shows any abnormalities in the size of the ventricles and in the movement of the blood through the heart. Other names for this test include cardiac blood pooling imaging, nuclear heart scan, nuclear ventriculography, and radionuclide ventriculography.Some people may need a MUGA scan before chemotherapy to find a pre-existing heart condition. Doctors also use MUGA scans as follow-up care to identify potential long-term heart side effects called late effects. Cancer survivors who may need follow-up MUGA scans include:·       People who have had radiation therapy to the chest, spine, or upper abdomen
·       People who have had a bone marrow/stem cell transplant or certain types of chemotherapy.
For these survivors, the test can identify heart-related late effects, which may occur more than five years after treatment.   The test monitors the amount of blood pumped out of your ventricles. A result of 50% or higher is considered normal, meaning that your heart is efficiently pumping blood throughout your body. On the other hand, an abnormal result may mean you have a blockage in an artery, poor pumping function, heart valve disease, or another disorder. If you have an abnormal result, your doctor may decide to switch treatments or give you a different type of chemotherapy. 

Effects on the heart from drugs used to treat cancer

Some types of chemotherapy, such as anthracyclines, may damage the heart during cancer treatment. Examples include daunorubicin (Cerubidine, Rubidomycin), doxorubicin (Adriamycin), and epirubicin (Ellence). Other drugs used to treat cancer, such as trastuzumab (Herceptin), can also cause heart problems. Sometimes, heart damage from these drugs can cause congestive heart failure (CHF). CHF occurs when the heart does not pump enough blood to the rest of the body. People with CHF may experience swollen hands and feet, shortness of breath, dizziness, and an irregular heartbeat. Most often, however, the heart damage is mild and only seen on MUGA scans or other heart tests.


NEXT STEPS:  Cancer Fitness – Improve quality of life with exercise  

This 8-week medically based program offers: 

Assessments at the beginning and end of the program.  Individualized exercise plan.  Two 60-minute group workout sessions per week.  A summary report provided to you and your physician.  Unlimited full access to the center and its amenities.   Transition to full membership, including a waived enrollment fee at the end of the 8 weeks 





No comments:

Post a Comment